Friday, March 06, 2020

Once Upon a Book Club

I subscribed to the Once Upon a Book club subscription box in January, apparently when I signed up they had already sold out of the January boxes. I was so excited when I subscribed that I didn't read the email they sent me that said that. Their mail out days are the 17th-20th, I waited until those days passed and then sent them an email asking about it, and they reiterated what their first email said about being sold out for January, which meant I got Feb-April boxes.
February comes around and they email me a tracking number on the 18th, and I wait. A week later, the USPS website says it's just been printed and they don't have it. I emailed the company, they got back to me two days later saying the post office found the lost boxes and they should be moving by tomorrow (2/29). Mine finally did and arrived on Monday. I was wicked excited.
This is what the box looks like:
 When it arrived, it was in a large white poly mailer as one of the gifts didn't fit in the box.
Here's what was in it:
 The book, Remembrance by Rita Woods, a pack of tea, a couple promotional codes for other boxes, and the four gifts.
Each gift is nicely wrapped with the page number when you're supposed to open it. I kinda wish it wasn't printed right on the item so I could reuse the packaging. I can find a way around that. Also, the book has sticky notes telling you when to open the gifts. I was thinking about just opening all the gifts and then getting to the book when I had the time, but I wanted the full experience, so I sat down and read the book straight through that night.
First up, on page 37:
"Her grandmother stood in the doorway, a wooden bowl of water in one hand, herbs tied with rough twine in the other." There is some faux lavender tied with twine in the bowl, it's like it just popped out of the story when we got there.
I was thinking it was a cup when I opened the package.
Next, page 101:
 "Then, bending, she swapped the lockets Grandmere had given them." Again, it's like it just jumped out of the book. It even has some material tied up in it to simulate their Grandmere's hair as it says earlier when she gives the locket to them. Very cute.
Next, page 110:
 "She rooted around in her pocket until her fingers brushed against the small wooden disk she'd taken from Hercule's shop, all she had left of him." Like I said before, it's like it jumped out of the book. There was also a card in it saying join us on March 25th for a craft day on Facebook, looked like a way to decorate the disk. That sounds like fun.
Last one, pg 245.
Actually, it was pg 275, "He placed a cup in her hand, then propped himself on the opposite end of the log. Margot inhaled the steam from the cup. She took a sip and sighed." Obviously it's a tea strainer, but it doesn't really go with the story. They don't use a tea strainer, they're in a settlement in the middle of the woods where they make everything they use. I was a bit disappointed in this gift. Partly because the page number was wrong, I was reading and realized I was past 245 and was wondering if they forgot the sticky note. There's a pamphlet that comes in the box with the pages and some discussion questions to discuss on Instagram and Facebook, in there it said pg 275, which is where the sticky note was. You can see a little card for Apple tea, they were drinking apple tea where the sticky note was. There were so many other things they could have picked, and for this one they picked a random thing,
I enjoyed the experience of reading the book and finding the gifts. I'm not sure what I'll do with them. I will be passing on the locket and the tea strainer. I usually don't need any boost to read, but I've been doing a lot of reading on the computer lately, so having a reason to read the book right away was nice. I also like the fact that it was a fun fiction book. I don't read a lot of fiction, but as fast as this one went, I kinda wanna read more.

No comments: