Sunday, August 01, 2010

I just watched the saddest and most violent movie I have ever seen.
About a month or so ago, I read on one of the blogs I follow, I regret I don't remember which one, to see the movie The Stoning of Soraya M. It's about a woman in Iran who's husband wants to divorce her to marry a young girl to help her father out. The woman, Soraya, wouldn't be able to support her children if she were to divorce, she starts helping a widower out with his household chores and her husband accuses her of adultry, the punishment of which is death by stoning. Obviously, if you read the title, she is found guilty by a jury of men and stoned to death. It literally made me sick to my stomach to watch her husband throw stones with such force that her wounds started spurting blood. I had to shut my eyes when everyone else stoned her.
As I said, it's the most violent movie I've ever seen, and I watch a ton of violent movies, some in which almost every minute of it someone is being shot or beaten, but to watch a movie that's based on a true story where women have to prove their innocence instead of the accuser, usually a man, having to prove his accusation, is just horrible.
And though officials say it doesn't happen anymore, I wouldn't believe that it still happens, there are tons of little towns so far off by themselves that they only have themselves to carry out what they feel is justice.
It's a good movie to teach us about another culture and how women have no rights, but it's a horrible movie. I know if you google Soraya M, you can find other articles on her, I'll leave that up to you if you feel like it.
I wouldn't be surprised if I have dreams about it for awhile.

No comments: