Friday, August 20, 2010

Pretty Cool Treasures

Last weekend, I went up to our condo on Lake Okoboji (north Iowa). We went to a couple antique malls and I got some great stuff. At one place I found this photo book:
I has around 50 of these vellum like envelopes, they looked a lot like the envelopes people collect stamps in. Anyways, it looked like it was an Army (?) guy's photo book with lots of photos of (I'm guessing) his wife, her family, and his kid from 1944.
Here's the back of it. It says Wayne Solmonson (37078554) Co. "A" 43rd Engr. Const. Bn.
Here's the front of it. It says Barberton Film Album, and then handwritten on the right edge Wayne Solmonson Co "A" 43rd Engr. C.B. My aunt, cousin and I who went on our mini vacation decided it must have been in some old box of photos someone didn't want. We decided Wayne's child must not be alive now, because there are photos of him at 6 1/2 months in 1944, so he'd be in his 60's now. I got the whole album for about $6.00
I bought this cute little tea cup that's about an inch tall for $1.00, and that tiny little tin, that's about the size of a nickel for $1.00
I also bought a bunch of handkerchiefs. I really do love them, that yellow one is just plain, so I'm thinking about doing my own embroidery on it. The green one, is very sheer and very lightweight, the picture on it, is painted and looks like a pagoda. They were all about $1.00 each.
I also got all these photos for $2.25. I was just mentioning not so long ago, how I could never find old photos for good prices around here, then I find this stack of photos and the photo album above. I don't know what I'm going to do with them, I always think it's pretty cool to have a little peek into someone else's life.
Check out Debbie Doo's for more Garage Salen. I love your comments.

3 comments:

Debbiedoos said...

I love your finds. I have a vintage album that was my husbands grandmothers. She left notes and newspaper articles about the family members in the book, I adore that book....glad you found some prints you like. Thanks so much for joining me this week...I love to see what everyone finds. Have a great weekend. Debbie

Charlotte said...

Great finds! Love the hankies! Have you 'googled' this guy's name to see if you can find his relatives?

Jeanne said...

Stumbled across this post. I love vintage photos. Here is a post of my Dad's WWII photos.

http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2010/11/veterans-day.html