Friday, May 03, 2019

Fun shopping Day

Today I went shopping with a friend. We were originally going to hit a Humane Society sale and then some antique stores in a neighboring town. After planning this out, found out that the Humane Society decided to do it a different weekend, so we just went antiqueing. We were set to start at 10:30, which gave me some time to make a card for a group:
 It's a flowerpot card, the flowers are on a card and come out of the pot 'envelope'.
How cute are these flowers I found in the side yard?
 I have no idea what they are.
Our first stop was a Goodwill:
 I totally picked up the bugs book for the felt bugs:
 Figured I could use them as embellishments. I'm not supposed to be buying more stickers, but they were Mary Engelbreit stickers, and I figured I'd pick up the gift bag for Mother's Day, now I need to find something to put in it. Spent $3.
Next stop was an independent antique store.
 Found this beautiful owl piece, it's made from silverware and glass pieces. It does have a couple ugly glue spots, but I LOVE it. I found out when I got home that they only good way to display it, is to get a plate stand, now I need to find a place stand. Also found these cute clip on earrings, I took the clip on part off of them and figured I'd use them as embellishments. Spent about $12 there.
By that time, we were getting hungry, so we went to a local deli. We sat down and waited 5-10 minutes before someone came over and took our drink and food order. And then we waited, probably about 30 minutes, it was a pretty long time before we got our food. It wasn't massively busy, the place sells salads, soup and sandwiches. Our sandwiches, though they were warmed and toasted weren't even hot when they came out. It seemed that they got done and then someone forgot about them. I was not impressed.
While we were waiting on the food, we were talking about some plans we had made earlier in the year, but didn't have actual dates for them. One was the Junkin' in June event (a bunch of antique spots open on a certain weekend for people to bounce around to, it's usually just a central Iowa thing), as I was asking her what day she wanted to go, she says she had to make sure she would be in town that weekend. Funny she promised me we'd do this, either earlier this year or late last year, because of how my mother treats me when we go on it. Because my mother is really good at making plans and then deciding she doesn't want to do them.
We also talked about Hobby Lobby, none of my friends has told me if I should go back and follow-up. I turned in my application on April 22nd, the manager told me he'd get back to me by the end of the week. I just want something to supplement my library job. I had mentioned I saw help wanted signs at Dollar Tree and Everts (a local gifts/flower shop), so thought I should try applying to those places. My friend mentioned she knew some people that had part-time jobs at Fresh Thyme and they really enjoy them, maybe I'll try there. Why does life have to be hard?
After that we went to another privately owned antique store:
 I thought things were pretty well priced, sadly I didn't check the prices on the two unicorn embroidered patches, one was $3 and the other $4, normally I wouldn't spend more than $2 a piece. The tiny person was $0.50, the Minnie Mouse keychain $2, the other keychains $1.50 each, the Wolverine pin $1, the stickers $0.50 each and the wheatback penny earrings $5 (which is a good price for earrings). Spent about $23 there. I'm really annoyed about not paying attention to those patches.
Last stop was an antique mall where the prices were vastly different.
Saw this cute mushroom canister set:
 Picked up this plaque thing:
Not entirely sure what it is, apparently they made it in to a "pen holder" that's what that gold thing is supposed to be. I bought it for my brother, he was born in 1980, and VEISHEA is a celebration the university here used to put on.
This antique mall was fun to look through, but the most interesting part was the group of old folks chatting away with the owner. It was like an old guy's morning coffee date. The owner said Hi to us when we walked in and then got back to the conversation about how customer service is really going downhill and people used to be so helpful when you went into places except for certain people and just on and on and on, and totally ignoring us.
We also talked a little about my birthday over lunch. Junkin' in June is the last weekend in June, my birthday is the 2nd of July. I recently asked to take vacation that day and got it granted. I wasn't going to do that, because I'll probably end up sitting at home by myself. So, today I mentioned that I had taken vacation on my birthday and needed to figure out lunch. I'd love to have a full day of things to do, but I'm not sure that will happen.
After I got home, I changed purses and went for a walk, because even though it felt like we did a lot of walking around, I only had about 3000 steps. I got tired and turned back a little earlier than my normal walk and then I felt a blister forming. Typical. I'm supposed to be exercising to lose weight and it seems everytime I take my walks in tennis shoes I get a blister. Which also means I won't be doing a walk tomorrow. I might check out the Farmer's Market, it's the first one of the season. I won't be hitting any garage sales, mostly because I didn't see any close ones advertised (I did find one on my walk, but I was hesitant because there was no sign at the house. Of course when I was on my way home, I saw a sign on a different street for that location). and I spent way too much money today, about $45. I'll probably buy a few things at the Farmer's Market. I was mentioning to my friend how I usually don't go to the Farmer's Market because it's out of the way for me, granted it's only a few blocks, which is what she said, and if I'm trying to be more active I should just go. The other reason I don't go very often is because I mostly spend my money on sweets, I don't buy fresh food and there are a few handmade places, but not a lot of something I'm going to use. And if I don't go, I will not spend money.

No comments: