Monday, September 24, 2018

This is how we do it

It was not my intention to stay up late to write a blog post, but something got me thinking tonight.
One of my facebook groups posted a question asking what band did we fall in love with after hearing just one song. That got me thinking about what song brought me back to my childhood (also cause Youtube was playing it at the time.
When I was a kid, I was really into police shows (I still am, I just don't watch broadcast TV anymore) and one in particular that I watched was New York Undercover. Basically it was a black guy and a hispanic guy, two detectives that went undercover in New York each week on a new assignment. I think it's funny that my parents let me watch that when they wouldn't let me watch NYPD Blue, they probably had the same amount of violence in them (that was their reason for not letting me watch NYPD Blue). Anyway, the hispanic guy's father had a blues club and every week, there would be some artist that performed at his club, and they were actual artists. This one song, This is How We Do it by Montell Jordan hit me one week when it came on, and just stuck in my mind. Years later, when my brother gave me his mp3 player cause mine had died, it had this song on it (this was probably when I was in college, in the 2000's).
I was immediately swept back to the 80's and that show. I have no idea why this song did it and I don't remember any other song on the show, but I loved that I had the song. I was also amazed that my brother had it. We used to listen to rock that was popular in the 80's, but then one day the radio station that we listened to, disappeared and I remember trying to find another one and finding a country station and being swept into that. My brother was not into country.
The other day, I was watching Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and afterwards wanted to listen to TURTLE Power, so I looked it up on youtube, after finding it, I wondered if I could find This is how we do it, and Youtube has been taking me back to my childhood.
I just looked up New York Undercover on IMDB, and found it started in 1994, so I was 11 years old when it started, I am amazed (but very happy) my parents let me watch it. I don't know why I was (and still am) intrigued with the police, but I do know when I was in kindergarten and they asked what you wanted to do when I grew up, I drew a picture of a police officer. No idea, I have no urge to become a police officer, but true crime and that stuff still interests me.

No comments: