Monday, June 28, 2010

Some random thoughts

So, the store is closing. We have a sign saying "Storewide Sale 25% off". I've had lots of people ask if the store is closing, to which I reply in the affirmative, I've also had many of those same people comment that they've always liked looking at our stuff. I always want to ask them how many times they bought items instead of just looking.
If people had bought as many things as they are buying now, when we weren't having a sale, we wouldn't be closing. No one ever thinks about that. I just had a guy spend about $65.00, if it hadn't been on sale it would have been a little over $80, but no one ever buys that much stuff unless it's Christmas season. I told him the total and he said "that's with the 25% off right?" Like I wasn't going to give it to him.
I've had so many people ask if the sale's on everything. My coworker has started telling people when they come in, which I guess is a good idea, because people have a tendency to buy things (even when they're not planning on it), when there's a sale.

OK, next topic. I was reading DebbieDoo's blog the other day, and she was talking about blogger etiquette. She mentioned she likes to reply to close to every comment. I don't do that. I appreciate comments, and I hope I don't seem rude for not replying. I reply if there's a question, or I have a reply for the comment. I do visit blogs that I haven't been to before.
I also don't feel the need to follow someone just because they're following me. I appreciate people following me, don't get me wrong, but I have so many blogs right now (and I know people have many more than I do), that I find it hard to keep up every day. I would rather someone followed me because they appreciate what I post, than just because I'm following them. That's what I do, and when my preferences change, I do drop people from my blog list. Like, I've noticed recently, I've been adding a lot of antiquey blogs. Like people who go to garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores etc, and pick out really neat vintage items. I've also noticed that when I pick out an art blog, I like it to be really different. I used to have quite a few card blogs on my blog roll, but even when I looked at them all separately, it felt like I was looking at the same thing repeatedly, so I took them out.
If you've noticed that I stopped following you, it's nothing personal, my preferences have just changed.
I also love reading cop blogs, but it seems most of the ones I've been reading (or try to read), get so much interruption from the higher ups in their departments they either have to censor what they write, or stop altogether. That's really sad. All the ones I have read would never put their job or department in jeopardy, but someone up there feels someone might read something the wrong way, and they have to bow out. I used to read one blog, Negative Ghostrider, and I loved his attitude on his job. He was good at it but he was a cynic, which is what I think you have to be when you're a cop. I think it's much safer for you if you don't trust the people you deal with everyday. Especially in the bigger departments, there is so much stuff going on these days, that I think it's stupid to trust everyone at their word.
I don't work in law enforcement, but I did get a Bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice in Sociology, I took as many criminal justice classes as I could, because I love the subject. I rode along with quite a few officers here, and I took the Citizen's Police Academy (which doesn't really show you the dirty parts of the job, but it gives citizens what they want to know), and I know a few of the officers personally. My boyfriend used to be a Community Safety Officer here, and they did a lot of stuff, his definition was, everything that a sworn officer was not needed for. They got to haul the prisoners to jail, direct traffic, help with community relations, and write tickets.
So, I know a lot about the dealings of law enforcement, at least in our little 50,000 resident town when the University is in session. We're probably at about 20,000 residents now. And I will say, I will side with the police, even when I haven't heard both sides of the story, in my mind the police are always right. I know there's certain things I can't say about what happens in law enforcement to certain people, because they just won't get it. That's the way it is with a lot of things, people say that about most groups of people, if you're not a part of it, you won't get it, and I'm not going to waste my breath trying to explain that.
That's my personal opinion, it won't change, just like your personal opinion will most likely not change. I won't apologize for my beliefs, and I won't argue about them on this blog. That's not what it's for. I watched my mother be a councilwoman in our town as I was growing up, and I've seen (even in my own family), how people will argue until they are blue in the face about what they feel even if they are wrong. That's not what I want on here. This is a place for me to vent about things, talk about fun finds I've bought, and about anything else, EXCEPT politics, and those things.
OK, somehow I've gotten way off topic. I'm not quite sure what my topic was anymore, but here's a more fun one.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY ON FRIDAY!!!! And I'm a little excited, can't you tell? I have no idea why, it's not like I'm having a huge wild party or anything. I know for sure I'm getting one gift, it'd be nice to be getting more, but I don't really care. As far as I know now, my plans are to get together with my mother on Friday and we're going on a day trip of eating and shopping to celebrate our birthdays (hers is on Saturday). Saturday, we're (my mother, father, and I) are going to my aunt and uncle's house (on my father's side), for a family get-together. I'm planning on making 2 cakes, one each for my mother and I, and a dip, that evening. I don't know what I'm doing during the day.
I'm hoping some time this week to hang out with my friend, Loretta, and her puppies, but it's ok if that doesn't happen, there's always next week.

No comments: