Sunday, December 23, 2018

Owl fluff

I feel like the closer I get to Christmas, the grumpier I am. I don't know if it's because I know I won't be getting a lot of gifts, or because our plans keep changing or because people seem ruder this time of year, or what. But I've been in a bad mood lately. Thursday was nice to hang out with a friend and go some places I hadn't been in awhile. But I remember a few years ago when we went to a charity sale she told me she wasn't supposed to be driving, yet I see her show up to work every day driving. And then we went to a couple places that were 45 minutes away from town. She could have just said she didn't have the time or something like that.
Then on Friday, I read an email that basically said the exact opposite of something someone else told me, so I was annoyed about that. Another reason why you shouldn't check your work email at home. It always starts that I have to be in my email for something else and then a subject line peaks my interest. And Friday, I got done with my job a bit earlier than usual, so I decided to spend money on myself. I've been doing that a bit too much lately and it will continue on to when I do my after Christmas shopping next week.
Friday:
 My calendars, mine: the squishy keychain and owl post its, pocket letter: the stickers, garland: ribbon.
Even my advent calendar was boring, though I really like the stickers I got in the pocket letter.
I put together a wish:
 she asked for something angel. I realize I just got the angel pieces for a wish granted, but they're not what I had in mind, and then I realized it had to be something new and remembered this angel ornament I had picked up.
I spent most of the day reading The Library Book by Susan Orlean, it's about the fire at the Los Angeles Central library in the late 80's and the stuff that goes on in the background of libraries, loved it. Even though I know what goes on and I know what we have going on goes on at other libraries, but sometimes it's nice to be told that.
I had to work a game that night and people were ok with bags. I realized going in that my anxiety is higher this year for the games and I think it's because of the clear bag policy. Because someone always has to argue. They can't pay attention to the rules before they come and their excuse is always "I didn't know" or "They let me come in last time". I feel you should research the rules when you go somewhere and abide by them without the staff having to tell you what they are. I also realize that the 4.5x6.5 size is very tiny and you can't fit much in there, but what do you really need for a 2 hour basketball game? And it's not going to change. The people I worked with last night weren't lenient, but I've also noticed that if you apologize a bunch of times while informing people of the rules, they will think they can get past you. Like one of my co-workers let someone bring in caramel balls because she knew they were gifts for someone, which just means that if another patron saw that, they would argue as to why they couldn't bring their snacks in or that patron would continue to try and bring other food items in and then give us the line of they let me bring it in last time. You're making it harder for everyone else when you're lenient.
So, I caught the bus home and went to Hobby Lobby.
 Christmas was 66% off this week, and wow was it picked over. There were a couple things I was going to pick up when it went down, like the mouse ornament and the snowman pic and the doily ornament. There were other things I wanted but they weren't there, I'm glad I bought my Precious Moments angel when they went down to 50% off because there weren't any of those left. I picked up the felt snowflakes and the snowflake paper for a snowflake pocket letter. I picked up the bags because they didn't have to be used for Christmas. I picked up the poinsettias, the light stickers and the gingerbread guys just cause they were cute. I liked the pumpkin paper and the coffee cup washi was on clearance. I'm excited to see the clearance section reappear. Everything I bought was on sale or on clearance, I spent a grand total of $13.
I also went to JoAnn's, but as usual couldn't find anything to spend my money on. I know I say this a lot, but I shouldn't even go in there. I just keep hoping there will be something great. I went to HyVee as well, picked up a Cherry Coke, some filled Twizzler bites and some pistachio muffins. I really wanted bagels, but couldn't find them.
When I got home I found some mail waiting for me.
A pocket letter:
 she sent it flat and I had to put everything back in the pockets, but it's cute. Also, she said it was her first one, I think it turned out pretty good for a first one.
A Christmas card:
Saturday:
Mine: box of metal toys, pocket letter: washi, garland: chocolate
I knew this box of fun was coming, it was the only item I had to wrap for my Advent calendar. Not so impressed with the other things.
I had to work Saturday afternoon, which was weirdly slow. I like weekends because we're usually busy, so very weird. No mail, unless it appeared in the mailbox after 6:30.
I did find some gifts on my desk.
Truffles:
 And peppermint bark:
 I may have been a bit bummed at the lack of Christmas cards, even though I didn't give any out. I guess I know who will give me stuff.
Sunday:
mine: Tsum Tsum and owl fluff, pocket letter: paper clips, garland: altered paper clips.
I love those tiny paper clips from the pocket letter, I'm not sure how I feel about the altered ones. I'm really enjoying the blind bags, but I always do. I wonder if I can find any at after Christmas shopping.
I got up and got my laundry done before noon, which was great. I have plans to get together with a friend later, though I thought it was going to be earlier. That might be part of the reason I'm so grumpy lately, people tell me something and then go and change it. I realize it's Christmas time and things come up, but when I'm expecting things and then you go and change it, it bums me out. My brother kept changing his plans to get here for Christmas, finally ending up on coming over on the 24th, straight to my aunt's house, coming back here after my dad's family celebration on the 24th and leaving on the 26th. Which then also changed how we were getting to my dad's side of the family celebration, my mother not going. And then this, and something another friend told me about January, come to find out it will be late February now. I also haven't seen one of my friends in over a year and a half, I know that's not helping my mood. I keep sending her gifts in the mail, but she doesn't get back to me, so I feel that will be changing.
I totally just want to open the rest of my calendar gifts even though I know I won't have anything to open tomorrow. 

No comments: