Friday, August 14, 2020

Crazy week

 Wow it's been a long time. I really don't mean to do this. It just keeps happening.

August 5: There basically isn't even an August 5th in my journal. I had good dreams and a slow day at work and watched some strange movies. No mail.

August 6: I don't appreciate the double spacing between paragraphs or how you put my pictures in backwards, blogger. Anyway, work was kinda fast. I got to leave an hour early, went grocery shopping on my way home, picking up chicken and salad mixings.
I found a pocket letter in the mail:

This was a replacement for one earlier in the year. It's very cute.
Also, a wish for happy mail:

It was ok. I like the stickers (not the smileys), the cute little girl and the memo pad.
I watched Terminator: Dark Fate. I really liked it. The new terminator was pretty cool, just all the capabilities he had. I liked that they brought Sarah back, I liked that it was 3 bad ass chicks kicking butt. I didn't like that they killed John, I realize they had to to start this new storyline, but I feel like neither John nor Sarah would have been caught off guard like that.
I also got a piece of mail wicked late from Amazon, it was a SMS spiky
Very cute. I'm not sure I'll use them, as I don't need dryer balls, but I'll keep them for when I need to replace mine.
August 7: Another slow day, watched a few movies, tried reading a book, couldn't get into it.
Got some mail. A replacement mini envelope swap:
Very cute. I'm not sure what I'll use them for, wasn't sure when I signed up, it just sounded fun.
Also, a happy mail wish:
These are always hit or miss. Sometimes I feel I get less things I want and it's not worth it.
August 8: I feel I've been slipping into a deeper depression lately, I have no desire to do anything but waste time on Facebook and watch Youtube. And that's all I did on the 8th. I was supposed to go to the store to get milk, but decided it will wait until Monday.
August 9: This was a very productive day. I think I told myself I had to be productive. Got my laundry done, no surprise there. I put together a wish of something Diddl:
I believe Diddl is that character. It's cute, but I just hoard all the stuff I get, so figured I'd send to someone else that might use them.
A Fab Flat Five swap:
Basically, we put together 5 flat things. I went with a bunch of random things I had gotten in other swaps. It's all flat and stuff I won't be using.
Also, a back to school swap:
We had to send 5 items related to back to school, so I went with some stuff I got in other swaps as well. I bought the paper bookmarks and got the wipes in a subscription box, everything else is from swaps. I love that I have enough stuff to do this with.
A wish for something kawaii:
Again, a lot of kawaii memo sheets I won't use, I just hoard these as well. 
I also made some stuff, a no theme card:
My partner liked butterflies, so I stuck one on it.
Some summer ATCs:
I was having fun layering on these.
Some vintage twinchies:
Again, a lot of fun layering on them. I was going to make them more dimensional, but didn't want to have to spend more on postage.
And a llama card and bookmark:
I was excited to use these die cuts I've been hoarding for awhile.
August 10: started out pretty nice, and then the world fell apart, again. Actually, it blew apart. Mom and I went to Tuesday Morning, as they are closing this store, there was not a lot left, I still found quite a few crafting items.
Tags, card kits, stickers, binder clips, journaling kit.
stickers, journaling cards, Christmas cards, card kit, washi, tags.
There are some things I never would have bought at the Tuesday Morning price, but I just basically picked up anything I wanted. I don't think I've used any of the stuff I got back in February when I was there last. As I was checking out, the tornado sirens went off, which was extra weird as we didn't see anything severe predicted. We went next door to TJ Maxx, because there are very high ceilings in Tuesday Morning, and it's wicked empty. We ended up in their breakroom about 30 minutes and then we spent about another 40 minutes in the store waiting for the storm to leave enough to try to get home.
a couple Pikmi Pops, some drain strainers, some cute pot watchers, and a gnome. The gnome is for a swap. I may have bought a couple things just cause we were in the store.
So, we were about 30-40 minutes south of home. We tried getting on one road, couldn't make it there due to it being blocked off by police. We got on the interstate, had to get off 9 minutes later due to an accident quite a ways north, but it was just like rush hour traffic. We travel on another random road until we hit a highway, went north on that until we hit another roadblock and then just kinda kept following the semis until we made it home, took probably twice as long to get home. We saw so much destruction of property and crops. The corn was bent over at 90 degree angles, there were trees down everywhere, buildings destroyed, trees pulled out of the ground. It was nuts. We get back to Ames, and the power's out for the whole city, and was out for my house until Thursday at noon, a little more than 3 days. That never happens. Our city brought in 4 other communities power crews. There are still people with power out, and it might not come up until next Monday. It was like we had a hurricane. Apparently it's called a derecho, with 100+ mph winds.
I didn't take a ton of photos, it was just too overwhelming, the few I did take:
This tree is basically ripped from the ground. It's still in the ground, but I feel if you lean on it, it will fall over.
One of my neighbor's yard. The tree is on the right side of the photo fell over on their back porch on the left side of the photo.
And this one, ripped from the ground as well.
All around town there was tons of devastation, if the tree weren't ripped from the ground, there were tops just sliced off or split down the middle. Every street had multiple trees down. And the power thing. Some people got it back up Monday night, 80% by Tuesday night, and then they started on all the power lines with trees on them, which of course, is where I was. It was weird not having power for 3 days. I ended up just walking around, as I'm in the basement and I don't really have windows. There were a few businesses that were grilling meat so it didn't spoil and they had to pretty much throw out all the refrigerated and frozen stuff. I'm sure they have generators to keep things going for a few hours, but not days. Again, this never happens. I also started reading by a battery operated candle I found. I did get a book read. It's weird how hard it is to sleep when it's so quiet. I went to work on Wednesday, the library finally got power sometime Tuesday night. I took all my stuff to get charged, used the Wifi for some internet. We set up a charging station for people on Thursday.
It's interesting how quickly you revert back to normal. I was never so excited to go grocery shopping. And I'm back to being lazy. I've basically been sitting on my butt since I got home on Thursday.

No comments: