Monday, June 20, 2016

That's life

Sometimes I miss what I had in college. I loved (still do) learning about criminal justice. I miss going on motorcycle rides, and I miss talking to like minded people about CJ stuff.
I love my life now (most of it), but I never get to see the police stuff anymore. I've loaded up my staff pics with my love of criminal justice and true crime. I have The Siege by Cathy Scott-Clark about a hotel that was seized by terrorists and kept all the people inside as hostages. Kitty Genovese by Kevin Cook, about Kitty Genovese who the bystander theory was based on. The bystander theory basically says that if you view a crime and a lot of other people view a crime, you are more likely not to report it because you feel that someone else will. That is untrue for Kitty's story. She was followed home, assaulted and then killed right inside her apartment building, and it was led to believe that a bunch of her neighbors saw her getting assaulted and didn't do anything. I have The Most Dangerous Animal of All by Gary L Stewart about Gary's search for his father and finding out his father was the Zodiac Killer. I read Cries Unheard by Gitta Sereny about Mary Bell, one of the youngest kids to kill multiple people, apparently she wasn't the cold blooded killer we all thought her to be either.
I miss having people to interact about criminal justice and police work. Most of the officers I know on my PD don't talk to me anymore, I don't really run into them anymore. I'd heard awhile back that they really didn't like me, but the source of that wasn't really reliable. All the cop blogs I follow seem to have dried up, but I get why.
I got to interact with an officer tonight at work and the conversation was not about my life and what's going on in it. And I want to tell someone with CJ ties, but I have no one to talk to anymore.
I was thinking I wanted to watch the last episode of Third Watch, but I just got rid of my VCR tonight, so that won't be happening. I miss that show. There are so many good cop shows from my childhood that I miss. New York Undercover, Pensacola: Wings of Gold (OK this is about Marine fighter pilots), Third Watch, Cover Me, Nash Bridges, Walker Texas Ranger, 21 Jump Street, Pacific Blue.
I took down my Hott Guys blog because I just didn't see the point of having a blog of pictures of guys I thought were good looking. In theory, I got one of my favorite cops from the TV show Cops to comment on a few of my posts, Officer Pilutik, that was a nice thought that the guy actually commented. It was probably some random person pretending. I am bummed I lost those comments, though.

I really miss the motorcycle culture as well. I used to have an ad on craigslist looking for rides. Risky I know, but I never got in trouble, I feel I can get a pretty good read on people. I miss the feeling of a motorcycle ride. I found my helmet in a closet the other day when I was cleaning out. No way would I get rid of that. I haven't used it in years, but it still fits, and I want to have it if the opportunity ever comes up again.
The Harley store in town does these rides in the summer where bunches of bikers get together and go on a ride to some place and then eat and come back. I got to go on a couple of those, I really miss that.

I miss having a connection to people outside of work. At one time, my life revolved around my ex, now I feel it revolves around work. If I'm not there, I'd rather be. All my friends are from work.

No comments: