Saturday, April 24, 2010

Need some advice

So, today I went to get my eyes checked (has been almost 4 years), and I was chatting with the optician about how my current medical insurance didn't cover eyes, so that's why I hadn't gotten it done. To which he talked about eyes being the most important and how money shouldn't matter, etc, etc, etc. Which I get, eyes are very important, but when you don't have a lot of money, the things that cost the most, don't get done.
Anyways, I was checking out new frames because my prescription changed (I asked my mother to come along for another opinion), and we didn't have any, because I have a tiny head (I usually end up with kids glasses). Afterward, I was going to schedule a dialation (where they put drops in your eyes, and the pupils get bigger, so they can see parts of the eyes, they explain it, but I never really understand.), anyways my mother said I should wait and see about costs at the Wolfe Eye Clinic (the place I used to go) because they have my family history and other things. To me it sounded like she just didn't want me to go to this cheaper place. She is against change (which is where I get it from), but she also said it was an optician and this place and an optometrist at Wolfe. I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between them. But I was also saying that the Wolfe place is in the middle of nowhere, and she said how location shouldn't have any impact on where I went. Pretty much meaning, she would drive me out there. Only thing is, I know she will complain the whole way out there and back about having to drive me and other stuff.
I'm trying to figure out how much of her argument is against change, and how much is what I should actually listen to.
One of the funny things is, if I lived anywhere else, anywhere I went wouldn't have all my family history either, so I think part of that argument doesn't work.
I honestly am not sure what to do. I know I will have to call Wolfe and see what their prices are, and figure it out from there. But I really don't know what to do, any suggestions?

3 comments:

Information Technology said...

nice blog. like this one,...

Carrie M said...

I think you mean optometrist vs. ophthalmologist. Here's the basic breakdown, as well as some advice:

Optician: Professional who designs, fits, and dispenses lenses for vision correction. Opticians might also make prosthetic eyes or other optical appliances.

Optometrist: A doctor (Doctor of Optometry, not an MD) who conducts eye exams, prescribes corrective lenses, and diagnoses and treats eye diseases. Optometrists may also provide vision therapies prescribe drugs for eyes.

Ophthalmologist: A surgeon (MD) of the eye. Checks, diagnoses, and treats eye problems, and can perform eye surgery. Usually more expensive than an optometrist, and depending on the clinic, the ophthalmologist might just assign an optometrist for your exam anyway.

My advice: Unless you are having problems with your eyes beyond simple nearsightedness or farsightedness, go with the optometrist. The optometrist will be cheaper, and if he/she detects more serious problems, he/she will send you to an ophthalmologist. Going to an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist for a simple exam is like going to an oral surgeon instead of a dentist for your 6 month cleaning. It's silly and wasteful, and just not necessary. Oh, and as far as the Wolfe Clinic having your records, so what? Again, unless you have some crazy eye problems beyond normal blurriness or astigmatism or whatever, the records just aren't that important. If the optometrist REALLY needs your records then the Wolfe Clinic can just send them over. It's not a big deal.

So, in short, save the Wolfe Clinic for if/when you have problems beyond what an optometrist can do. Optometrists have very sensitive equipment, and if they detect something that's off, they'll send you to an ophthalmologist.

*Goddess* said...

LOVE how the eye doctors, dentists give you this big speech about money shouldn't matter and how you need to get your eyes checked and your teeth checked on a regular basis.

Bullshit.

When you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I had to get my eye checked recently because I had a little bubble on the white of my eye. Turned out to be water, but she checked me for about two minutes and charged me $100. If they'd lower their prices maybe people could actually afford to go on a regular basis.