Thursday, April 15, 2010

What are people thinking?

For one of my jobs, I work at at toy store in a strip mall, and right next to the toy store is a Pizza Hut where you can only pick-up your pizza or have it delivered.

Tonight it's raining, and sometimes pouring. I have seen 2 people pull up and park (in the fire lane), leave their kids in their car, leave the car running and go in to get their pizza. This is the perfect crime of opportunity for a person. It makes me wonder if the parent/adult would think it was worth it to stay out of the rain, if their car happened to be stolen. Now both times these people left their car, yes they could see the car, but they were also away from the car for at least 5 minutes, and if the person was walking toward the car, and then walked in front and got into the driver's door, I highly doubt the adult would notice, I'm pretty sure you could do it fast enough if you wanted to.

Unfortunately, I know this doesn't just happen here. I've seen people do it down town as well and pretty much anywhere in town. Now, I know we don't have a ton of crime in our city (most likely more than people think), but we have had armed robberies at gas stations, one just a block away.

Not that I'm wishing something would happen to anyone, but I really wish there was some way we could get people to realize that cons will not outweigh the pros in these situations.


A few weeks ago, when I was working at the library, one of our full-time staff comes inside the library with a kid screaming his head off. We found the mother, but she didn't seem in the least bit concerned.

I got my degree in criminal justice and I have read about what people will do just because there's an opportunity. I don't think in any way there's an excuse for them doing these crimes, but I do think the victim is partly to blame in these situations.

No comments: