Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Driving away Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge is back! Head on over the Joyce's blog to see what other people have to say.




1. When was the last time you relocated? Did you move yourself or leave it to the professionals? Are you happy staying put or is there a move in your future? Best thing about moving to a new city or town? Least favorite and/or hardest thing about moving house? I haven't moved in years, the last time I did it was just across the street but it was up two flights of stairs and a few things up a fire escape and through a window. I would love to stay here forever, but soon my landlords are going to want to use this space and I'll have to move out, I think it will be next year.
My parents moved from this house to a smaller condo, they had to live in a two-bedroom apartment between moving out of here and moving into their condo. I helped with that. Since they had an interim apartment, they had a big semi-truck pack up about half their stuff and keep it in storage and move the rest to their apartment. They're still sorting and unpacking boxes now, which is about a year after they moved out of here.

2. When were you last 'moved to tears'? Explain. I actually just read a book called Newtown about the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting the other day, I cried while reading that.

3. Do you have rules about eating in the car...any forbidden foods? What's the last thing you consumed in your car? Your go-to car snack when traveling long distance? I don't have a car, but the one I spend most of the time in, would be my mother's and we generally eat stuff in the car, nothing too messy. Honestly, I don't know what the last time was I ate in her car, but it was most likely picking up fast food and eating french fries on the way home.
When I was a kid, our traveling food was always Twizzlers. I remember we always got a big bag of those before going on long car trips. A few years ago, I bought some for a trip, they weren't as good as I remember, I'm actually not that much of a fan of them anymore.

4. Share a favorite song relating to cars and/or driving. I like Two Lanes of Freedom by Tim McGraw
My favorite lyrics are:
Bottle of wine and a cheap motel, door 12 feet from the road
Watch the sunset holding hands and talk about where we're gonna go
So where you wanna go? (Where you wanna go?)

5. What's your most frequently visited drive-thru...Starbucks? the bank? the pharmacy? some other window? Like I said, no car. But, most likely a fast food place.

6. "He who hesitates is lost"...would you agree? When it comes to making decisions do you generally act quickly or do you more often than not fall into the 'lost' category? I think it depends on what the decision is about, you can still get something good even if you hesitate. I know I don't always make decisions quickly and sometimes I lose out on what I want, but sometimes I don't.

7. When was the last time you got lost? Was it stressful or an unexpected happy adventure? Because I walk to all the garage sales I go to, sometimes I end up on a street I didn't know was there. I did get lost earlier this summer when I happened upon a street I thought was something else, but I knew if I kept going south I'd figure out where I was, and it worked out fine. If I had to be somewhere at a certain time, I might have freaked out a little more.
The last time I got lost in a car, I was with my ex and I remember us being on a gravel road but we weren't exactly sure where we were, again we didn't have anywhere to be, so we just kept going until we found something familiar.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. I'm going on a mini vacation soon. We have a time-share up at Lake Okoboji for a week at the end of August. This year I get to go up there for a few days. I'm really looking forward to it. It was always the last place we went (when I was a kid) before school started, so even as I get older, it still holds that. It's always away enough but familiar that it feels like home. Obviously things have changed in the 20+ years we've been going, but enough has stayed the same that it still feels like childhood.
I miss this:

 

4 comments:

Joyce said...

Those favorite spots from childhood are special. Enjoy your holiday!

Nonnie said...

I must be the only one who doesn't do Twizzlers! Your vacation at the lake sounds wonderful. Enjoy. And be careful on those walks.

Cheryl said...

Enjoy your upcoming vacation! It looks like a beautiful, relaxing place to go.

Wendy said...

Enjoy your vacation.