Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepodge

It's time for Wednesday Hodgepodge again.

1. April 22nd is Earth Day. Are you inspired by nature? In what way? I enjoy wandering around in nature. My favorite day in the spring and summer would be to be out walking in the woods. I'm not sure I'm really inspired by it.

2. Down to earth, four corners of the earth, move heaven and earth, not have an earthly chance, or salt of the earth...which earthly idiom have you most recently encountered? Explain.

3. Share one piece of advice you might give a newly engaged couple. Have fun every day. I'm not married, so I don't know what it's like to be married, but when I was with my ex, the best days were when we had fun. I think if there were more of those, we might still be together.

4. When did you last engage someone to perform a job, task, service, home repair, or improvement? On a scale of 1-10 (ten being the best) how would you rate their work and/or your satisfaction with the job or service provided? Honestly it's been so long, I have no idea.

5. When did you last find yourself engaged in small talk? Are you awkward or an expert or somewhere in between? I'm not good with small talk. If I don't know a person very well, I find it very hard to relate to them.

6.  What was the last historic place you visited? My house is historic, does that count? Probably not. A few years ago, We went to an old fort in Dubuque, IA. Unfortunately most of the buildings were gone, and it was Memorial Day weekend so the museum wasn't open. It was still cool to look around.


7. The world would be a better place if we just weren't so lazy.

8.  Insert your own random thought here. I'm ready for garage sales. I know I'm supposed to be downsizing, but I love the thrill of the hunt. I love planning my weekend jaunts, seeing what each sale will have that I find interesting. I love getting out and walking places. I don't have to buy anything, and I'm going to try very hard this year not to buy much. I do have a couple things I'm looking for.
Last weekend, I set out for a garage sale, when I got there it didn't have as much as they advertised, so I ended up wandering around and taking pictures of for rent signs.

When I go out for garage sales, I start my list on Wednesdays, when the sales are most prominent in the paper. I continue to check the online listings and Craigslist up until I leave on Friday and Saturday. I go through the listings and write down the addresses, times and what sounds good in their listings in my notebook. Once I've got all the ones down for a certain day, I plan out my route (I walk to all my sales, so having them close together makes sense), and I start out on that route, if I happen to notice more while I'm out, I generally stop. I bring a bag, lots of ones, and some water so I'm ready for most anything. I also have my MP3 player to listen to while I'm walking.
Every winter, I start saving my garage sale money, or even at the end of the season. When I'm paying in cash, every $1 I get back, I stick in a book and then count them out when garage sale season starts next time. It seems to work great for me.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Interesting answer to #7, and I have to say I think you're right about that. A historic home for sure counts! : )

Marla said...

I wrote about our upcoming garage sale at my church. Too bad you don't live near by! Happy garage sale shopping!