Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Wednesday Hodgepodge

1. What's your worst food memory? How about one of your best?
I don't really have a worst one. My best one would be years ago when I went to Washington D.C. with my parents for one of my mother's conferences. My dad and I went to an open air market and we bought this napolean, which is layers of puff pastry and pudding. I remember us each eating from different ends and it was SOO good. I've spent years trying to find a napolean that tastes the same, at this point I'm not even sure I remember what it tasted like, but it was good.
2. Do you appreciate people telling it like it is, or would you rather a speaker temper his/her words and maybe beat around the bush a little? How about when you're the one communicating...which type are you?
It depends on the situation. If I screw up or it's something I don't want to hear I don't like it, but sometimes it's easier for people to just get it out there and tell me. I'd rather know what they're talking about than them hiding behind their words because they don't want to come out and say it. I think I come out and say things, but I am very empathetic, so if I can tell it will hurt their feelings, I try to do it in a nicer way.
3. What's your favorite place to hang out?
If we're talking about anywhere, always Okoboji, IA. I spent my summers (or at least the last week of summer before school started) there, and every time I go back (which is less and less lately), I'm always transported back to my childhood. I'd take Okoboji over anywhere in the world. If we're talking about here in town, I'm not sure. I don't have a favorite place, maybe anywhere my friends and I hang out. We can get lost in talk about the library for hours at a time.
4. When do you most feel like you're a slave to time?
Generally, when I do art. My muse seems to appear when I don't have time, usually before I have to be at work, sometimes late at night when I have to get up early the next morning. I hate having to watch the clock when I'm trying to create something.
5. What was the last concert you attended? Who'd you go with? Was it any good?
Very good question, I can tell you the last concert I worked, that would be Miranda Lambert last fall. I work at an events center here, so I get to see/hear a lot of concerts. But, the last time I paid/someone else paid for me to go would probably be Trans Siberian Orchestra at least 6 years or so ago. I don't go to a lot of concerts, I find them too loud.
6. Reality TV...harmful or harmless? What's your guilty pleasure when it comes to reality TV?
I used to like it, when I actually watched TV. I actually used to plan my life around TV shows which I think is very bad, I wouldn't do anything when I knew my shows were on. My favorite will always be the Amazing Race, I love how their challenges were always something cultural to do with the place they were in. It was almost like they were learning while they were there. Now, I've been spoiled with TV shows on DVD and no commercials, so I don't watch 'live' TV anymore.
7. What's something you think is overrated?
I have a great example from work today, but if I posted it on here and the patron happened to find it and read it, it would be bad. Maybe tiny things people think are so important at certain times. When you stop and think about it, they're really not that important.
Here's another, how about that new trend of mullet dresses, where they're longer in the back than the front. I don't get those. Maybe just trends in general. I wear what's comfortable to me, usually the $5 shirts from Walmart. I just don't get the point of trends, wait a few months or a year and it's something completely new and different.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I will practice self-control tomorrow. I'm working an extra job right now where I stand upwards of 8 hours a day. I do take my lunch, but it's at a bookstore, and they have everything: clothing, books, art supplies, etc. I already bought a cool shirt that was pretty cheap, but I still haven't visited the sale rack. This bookstore is across the hall from a convenience store and I'm trying so hard to not drink pop lately, for obvious reasons, but when I'm standing so long, I want the caffeine (though lately, I'm so tired it doesn't make a difference). I'm just trying so hard to practice self-control, but then I have an angry/confused patron and I get upset because of them, and I want to buy myself something to make me feel better. It's horrible.

This would be impressive that I've done this three weeks in a row, if I actually posted something else. I'm just so drained at the end of the day, I don't want to think too much. I do like these though. I will post a picture of my cool new shirt soon. I'm hoping there will be some interesting sales this weekend.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I'm generally not a fan of the long in back, short in front style dress either. 8 hours is a long time to be standing! I'd need some caffeine too : )