Sunday, July 21, 2019

Power outage

Friday: I headed out to a few sales before the heat got to be so much. First stop:
 A crafting book for $0.25. I didn't pick it up for me, but I thought I could gift it to someone else.
Second stop:
 Wendy from Casper ($2), an aardvark ($1) and a free tin. I had to pick up Wendy, cause I'm Wendy. Also, couldn't pass up the aardvark, I haven't found a place for him, yet. I can't pass up anything with pansies, my grandma like pansies.
And the last stop:
 Everything was $0.25, except a bag of jewelry that was $1. I can't believe they were selling the handmade scarves for a quarter, planning to gift most everything to other people. I love the cross stitched eggs.
My grand total spent was $5.75. I was covered in sweat when I got home, my shirt was drenched except where my bra was. I also detoured a bit to cross one of our busy streets at a light instead of just hoping for a break in traffic.
I was relaxing after my shower when I got a text from my brother asking if I was joining him and my parents for lunch. We ended up going to a Mexican place and then went to Des Moines. My brother was in town for a high school reunion, but wanted to stop at a few stores in Des Moines while he was there. I did buy a bubble tea at the mall. We headed to my aunt's afterwards and had a few hours of chatting. Got home close to 6 and found some mail when I got there:
 It's for a fairy tag. They're cute, I just don't use that many stamps, so will be passing them on.
Saturday: I chose not to go to any sales, to give my body some chance to recuperate from my week in the heat. Got some stuff ready to mail.
Send me Something shiny:
 I had picked up these sticker sheets at Dollar Tree on Thursday, thinking I didn't have them, but they were duplicates for my collection.
Llama tag:
 I was having a hard time with this tag. I wanted to get something llama but didn't know what to send out. I went with something more flat.
Kawaii:
 Also, kinda hard, I'm not always sure what's considered Kawaii, so I went with the pen and stickers, plus threw a couple more pens, stickers and some memo sheets in as well.
At that point, it was about time to sit down for lunch and get ready for work. And then the power went off. Figured it was the world telling me to just get ready for work, it was interesting getting dressed by flashlight. My apartment is in the basement, the few windows I have are mostly covered, so not a lot of light. Flashlights on phones are lifesavers. I figured the library would still have power because they're on a different grid, even though it's only 3 blocks away. Turned out it was the whole city. The back of the library (mostly staff space) has next to no windows, again we were saved by flashlights on phones. The public space has a ton of windows except study rooms and bathrooms. The emergency lights were on, so I guess we have some backup lighting, I'm not sure where it comes from.
The lights went back on after about 30 minutes of power outage, but we had to wait another 20 minutes to get all the systems back up and running. And then it was a bunch of calls for the next half hour asking if we had power again. Other than that, nothing big really happened. We did get a nice thunderstorm in the last half hour we were opened, but it was gone by the time we left. It did produce a bunch of humidity.
I had found a package on my way in to work, so opened it on break. It was a swap of altered project life cards.
While I was looking at them, one of our new janitors came up and started looking at them. This is a random stranger, so I hurriedly packed them up and wandered off. It was weirdly awkward.
When I got home the internet was still out, and didn't come back on until 10AM Sunday. So, I popped in a movie (after draining my phone battery checking out Facebook), and fell asleep in the middle of the movie.
Thursday when I was out shopping, I had my alien T-shirt from the first Toy Story on and forgot I was wearing it. As I was checking out at Target, the cashier asked if I had watched the 4th one yet and I was trying to figure out why he asked until I remembered I was wearing the shirt.

No comments: