Saturday, June 06, 2020

Estate Sale

I saw an ad for an estate sale this weekend, last Monday. I really wanted to go, but it was pretty far away. I asked my mom if she wanted to go and she said sure. We ended up leaving about 9, which is when it started, got there about 9:10, masks were required and they asked us to stay 6 feet apart, that didn't happen. At an estate sale? Seriously? I didn't see people standing right behind others, we gave each other space, but it wasn't 6 feet. This house looked so small from the outside, when we got to the basement, it was like a whole new house, there was one room we walked through and then a kitchen and another room and then into what looked like a workshop, which looped back around to the stairs back up. The garage was majorly weird. Ther was a box of hair:
a make your own bird:
That's what it seemed like to me, all those feathers and then the picture of the bird on top.
I'm not sure what this was:
It looks like a tail of some sort.
More feathers:
These looked like wings.
On the first floor, you walked into a living room and then into the kitchen, the basement stairs off the living room. The garage off the kitchen/dining room. There was a little sun porch off the dining room. The kitchen led to what seemed like a den, which went into another room and then into a bedroom which had a closet that came around to the front door. I think it would have been a cute house to live in.
I loved this:
I would have bought it for sentimental value if it wasn't $6.
Found this cute picture:
That's a great Christmas if you ask me.
I'm not sure how my mom knew, but she said the lady who used to live there died at 103. She was a button collector, a cookie cutter collector and had to do something with sewing and yarn. There was tons of yarn and a few looms, plus a spinning wheel.
This is the ad from facebook: "She was a collector! There's a huge button collection, notebooks full and more buttons everywhere. There's 2 looms and a spinning wheel and lots of yarn and wool and fabric. We have a cookie cutter collection, huge cookbook collection, lots of collectibles everywhere. There's vintage toys, a crock, pottery vases, vintage jewelry, a stamp collection, foreign coins, tokens, a thimble collection, wood cookie molds, primitive kitchen utensils, fur coats, vintage hats, beautiful vintage linens, vintage Christmas, lots of collectible knick-knacks, clocks, B&G plates, 2 sewing machines, old books, silverware, an old trunk, lots of pretty dishes and kitchen, furniture, crates, primitive cabinet, tools, advertising items, a basement full of interesting things--boxes and boxes full of little things to look at!" 
How can you pass up a description like that? I was actually just hooked on buttons and the pictures of buttons. I didn't end up buying any buttons. The notebooks full of them were priced as low as $10, and up into the 50's. Way over my budget, especially when I don't do much with them. There were jars of buttons at $25, I admit some of them were cool, but I'm not paying that much for a jar of buttons. I realize it's an estate sale, not a garage sale, but I'm still cheap. They never price anything under $1, and it felt like the price of the day was $5. It also felt like after awhile, they just started shoving things in boxes and bags and throwing $5 price tags on them.
What I did get:
2 boxes of random, an ornament another box, a tiny panda pencil sharpener, cool spoon, vintage Mickey. I ended up spending $9, which was less than I figured, the highest priced thing I had was $3.
The things that weren't boxes of weird stuff:
That box at the bottom was $1, I wasn't going to get it, and then I saw another one in a different room priced the same in way worse condition. It's a magnetic box that used to hold cards, I just wanted the box. It had some miscellaneous stuff: a package of kleenex (open), a mini stapler and staples, some emery boards. I pretty much threw everything in the box away.
One box of random:
I really liked the egg ornament, it had a donkey and an elephant on it and on the other side it says 1980.
Another box of random:
I really just wanted it for the 3 tins, that I could see on top, also the box of gold butterflies. I has happily surprised to find the dico ball apple and the cute sun catchers. 
The next stop was a garage sale near the estate sale "Craft room cleaned out. Lots of specialty papers, stamps, die cuts and stickers of all kinds." Pulled from their facebook ad. I just wanted to go for that line.
I found this card game:
I did not buy it, because no one will play games with me. They had a tub of loose ribbon, two tubs of stickers, a tub of images, a tub of die cuts, and a pile of paper pads. 
Here's what I did buy:
a paper pad, a bunch of die cuts. The paper pad is brand new, all the paper in it for $2, I remember seeing it at Hobby Lobby, but didn't want to pay $15, or even $7.50 for their 50% off sale. My rule with paper pads is I have to like at least half the designs to buy them. I'm really not supposed to be buying paper. I looked through, and I don't like half of it, but I love the designs I love, and $2. The die cuts are foil from Hot off the Press, I'm thinking they're bought online, I don't know I've never seen them, there were tons of them, mostly priced at 25 and 50 cents.
A booklet of travel images, crown wood veneers, a bag of tags, gem flowers, some 3d stickers and a set of City of Ames playing cards. There were a couple booklets of images I wanted, but I put back the vintage images for this one, I'm thinking I should of picked up both. I love wood pieces (I don't really do much with them). I had to pick up the playing cards, I work for the city of Ames, and I love these, they were brand new in the package.
The bag of tags:
There were almost 80 tags in the bag for $1.00. I love tags, don't use them much either. Maybe I should use them for the Tag Tuesday challenges.
Total spent was $7.25. I think that's pretty good for all this crafting stuff, it's almost what I would pay for the 50% off sale of Paper Studio for the that paper pad at Hobby Lobby.

No comments: