Thursday, January 31, 2019

It's cold

Sunday: Had to work gymnastics, and those people are really rude with their bags. Someone told me gymnastics is always like that. It wasn't too cold, probably because I was moving around so much to talk to people about bags. It felt like every single person had a bag, it wasn't everyone, but it felt like it. And most people were just rude about it. There was a lot of "I didn't know that" "It should say that somewhere" "It's so cold, I'm not going out to my car". We started enforcing this policy in November, there is no excuse to not know about it. We're like the last of the big schools to adopt it, and apparently basically any athletic event you go to has a policy similar to this. My mom gave me a ride home, though I think I would have been ok. I ride the bus which is usually a 5 minute wait depending on when I go to the bus stop. Went home and did laundry.
Monday: opened at the library. Went to lunch with an old friend. It was one of those lunches where your jaw hurts from smiling and laughing the whole time.
I really wanted to go to Hobby Lobby on the way home because it's their big clearance event time, but the windchill was wicked. It was worse going home then coming in, because it was in my face on the way home.
Found a bunch of mail when I got home.
Penguin and polar bear ATCs:
 Pink pocket letter:
 My Favorites pocket letter:
 Basically we took 9 favorite things from a list and created a pocket letter.
Secret sister swap, the priority mail envelope was packed:
 And all the goodies:
I'm loving the paper and the notebooks and the minion stickers and the purple owl magnet
 And more goodies:
 I'm loving the butterfly stickers and the tiny sign, and the hot air balloon notepad, and the tiny pens.
After getting home and getting all the mail, I decided to do a little crafting and made some heart tags:
 Put together a destash tag:
 Made a green card:
 Put together a happy mail tag:
 And then it was supper time. So, it's gonna be wicked cold for the next few days:
We were in a wind chill advisory from Monday 6PM until Tuesday 6AM and have now moved into a wind chill warning, which is from now until noon on Thursday. They're predicting wind chills of -55 degrees, can get frost bite after 5 minutes of exposure and they high on wednesday was -12, but I see on that picture above it's -8. The university is closed until Thursday, which never happens. Schools are closed and some businesses. But not the library, I know we never close (we've closed 4 times since I started 9 years ago {fleas, norovirus, sewer backup, and once for weather, because of a lot of snow}), but I kinda hoped after hearing all the other places closing that we would close. The director sent an email saying we're considered a warming center for the county, so better be there. And if you can't get there, it's on you, you'll be taking a vacation day or a day without pay.
Tuesday: There was a lot of book reading. I got all bundled up to go to work. My mother would not let me walk to work in the weather. I found some mail on my way into the library.
Tea:
 Favorite color tag:
 LOVE THESE.
cards:
 Loving these, too. Not sure I'll be able to use them.
We were so dead at the library, Tuesdays are usually pretty slow, but with the weather, I wasn't surprised that no one wanted to go out. I decided to take a vacation day for Wednesday, I was going to come in just to do interlibrary loan things, but found out that the volunteers weren't coming in (I didn't blame them), so decided not to come in, either. As we were leaving, most everyone went out early to turn their cars on. My glasses fogged over due to me wearing a scarf over my nose and then frosted over. I didn't think the temperature was too bad, it was just when the wind catches you. But, I also have a great coat. It's made by Land's End, and they know how to make coats for cold weather, they're a bit more expensive, but totally worth it. I was a little disappointed that my apartment wasn't as warm overnight as it was during the day.
Wednesday: I slacked off all day. Read a couple books: Not Buying it by Judith Levine, she chose to not buy anything that wasn't essential for a year. She slipped up a couple times, but it was fun to read. I think it would have been more fun if it was written by someone who indulged more to begin with. She didn't drink expensive coffee or go shopping a lot, so it would have been fun to read about someone else's experience, too. And, The Public Library by Robert Dawson, it was a photo essay of public libraries around the country with some printed essays as well. Pretty cool, but wish it was thicker.
Here's a screen shot of the weather when I got up:
 And the feels like temp:
It was so nice and warm inside the whole day (maybe even a little too warm, i'm in a tiny basement apartment, so when the heat is on constantly it doesn't have anywhere to go). I watched a movie: Down a dark hall and created a pocket letter. I was thinking as I was creating how much fun it would have been to have this day a few years ago when we were in the old house and craft with my mother.

No comments: