Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Hodgepodge Vol. 166
1. Do you have an interest in learning about your family's heritage? Why or why not? If you know a little bit about your roots, share an interesting piece of trivia or a fun fact about someone who goes way back on your family tree. Not really. I know my dad's side is German and my mom's side is English. My last name is kinda unique, so through reading things, I found out one of my relatives worked at Auschwitz and another one ran the Andersonville prison camp during the Civil War.
2. Branch Rickey, the baseball exec credited with signing Jackie Robinson, is quoted as saying-"Luck is the residue of design."Agree or disagree? Why? So, you design something, and luck is whatever's left over? I'm not entirely sure what I think.
3. In the town where you currently reside, what's your favorite green space? McFarland Park brings back a lot of memories, but the place we go to the most is Reiman Gardens, but it's more for the gardens. Since I became single, I don't really hang out in parks much.
4. Who is your favorite comedian? Jim Gaffigan. Some of his stuff's a little vulgar, but I do find it applies to everyday life quite well. My friends and I went to a Mexican restaurant not so long ago, and I was asking them what they thought things were and then I remembered one of his skits. He supposedly used to work in a Mexican restaurant and people would ask him what things were "What is nachos?" "Nachos? It's tortilla with cheese, meat and vegetables." "Oh, well then what is a burrito?" "Tortilla with cheese, meat and vegetables." "Well than what is a tostada?" "Tortilla with cheese, meat and vegetables." "Well, then what I-" "Look, it's all the same shit! Why don't you say a Spanish word and I'll bring you something."
5. March is National Nutrition Month, and almost everyone needs to improve their diet in some way. What about you? How can you improve your nutrition on a daily basis? Will you try? I don't diet. I'm really good at not eating healthy. I should have better breakfasts, I should stop drinking pop, I should make more of my meals instead of eating frozen meals. The key word being should. I am again trying to cut down on my pop, we'll see how that goes.
6. Which of these green expressions have you 'experienced' in recent weeks -green with envy, green thumb, green around the gills, or give the green light? Explain. Ummm, no. I'm not envious of anyone, I can't grow things, I haven't been sickly, and I haven't been given the ok to do anything.
7. Where is one place you don't mind waiting? I mind waiting everywhere. I try to bring something to do so it doesn't seem like very long.
8. Insert your own random thought here. One of the ways I'm cutting down on drinking pop is by not going to the HyVee gas station that's on my way to work. Last week, their sidewalk wasn't completely cleaned off, so I told the clerk. It still wasn't shoveled the next day when I went in, so I mentioned it to a different clerk and he rolled his eyes at me. Thursday, it still wasn't shoveled. Sunday, I sent an email to the HyVee at the other end of the parking lot. I haven't heard anything back, but I told them because of the rude clerk I wouldn't be using the gas station anymore.
Tonight, I successfully didn't. I did drink a can of pop that I bought somewhere else, but I did not go to the gas station on my break, or on my way to work. I will still be buying things at the HyVee, but I don't plan on frequenting the gas station anymore.
Also, last week, I mentioned that I got my hair cut, everyone keeps saying how cute it is. So, I'm hoping it really is. I like it, I don't like that it dries funny if I sleep on it. I never had bad hair days when I had long hair.
I guess I'll go back to that weekly post thing. I am still trying to do the Wednesday Hodgepodge when the questions seem interesting to ...
So, It's been awhile, cause that always seems to happen. I've just been creating for swaps, and being a lump on my couch. Check o...
I went shopping today. I've been trying to be good and not shop (especially since I have a couple bigger shopping trips planned in the ...