Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Wednesday Hodgepoge

Wow, I almost forgot to do this. I was reading my blogs on a different computer and I told myself I'd do it later, and now it's later. Head over to Joyce's blog to see what other people said.

1.What makes love last?
Work, definitely work. You can't just expect to skate through and keep doing things like always, you have to work at it.
2. The Beatles made their US debut fifty years ago this week. Are you a fan? If so, what's your favorite Beatles tune?
That's totally before my time, but I like Yellow Submarine.
3. Valentine's Day-your thoughts? Do you celebrate in any way? Do anything special for the people you love? Expect anything special from the people who love you?
I don't particularly like Valentine's Day, mostly because I'm single. Also, when my ex broke up with me, I figured it out on Valentines Day, but the best chocolate comes out for Valentine's Day, so I love that aspect of it. I mostly just buy myself chocolate. I have made some valentines in the years past and mailed them off to friends, this year I made more. My friends and I are going out to eat because we are single, and I thought it'd be fun to do. They're also getting valentines and chocolate from me. I also have done some Valentine's Day swaps in the past and have done a few more this year, mostly because I'm single and I don't have anyone to buy me something neat, I think it's fun to buy stuff someone else will like. Other than my two swaps coming my way, I don't expect anything
4. Steak or burger...you have to choose. Now that that's settled, how do you like it?
Totally depends on the restaurant and who's paying. If I'm paying, probably, burger with cheese, medium. But, I love steak at Applebee's with loaded mashed potatoes or Red Lobster with the lobster tail, or Texas Roadhouse with their rolls, always medium well.
5. The Hodgepodge lands on the birthdate (February 12th) of Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States of America. Lincoln is quoted as saying, 'Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test his character give him power.'  Do you agree? Why or why not?
Interesting quote. I agree, most people's true character comes out when you give them power. You can always tell what's really in their heart.
6. Honest Abe's image is featured on the US penny (1 cent coin) so I'm wondering...what do you do with your pennies (or your country's equivalent)?  It's been suggested the US stop making the penny, and two bills have been introduced proposing just that, but neither were approved. What say you?
I save all my change in a piggy bank, when it gets filled up, I cash it in. That's kinda funny, because didn't they just change the back of the penny, we no longer have the Lincoln Memorial, we have to see the shield instead. 
I love collecting the wheat back pennies, I have a few steel ones (no, not the ones that are worth a ton), I even have one that's over 100 years old. Very cool, someone used it to pay a fine at the library, and I had to have it (it wasn't 100 then, just a few months shy).
 7.  Do you think pop culture deserves serious study?
That requires more thought than I'm going into tonight, so no.
8. Insert your own random thought here.
And I'm complaining about the weather again. I'm getting used to the cold part, what I wish would go away is the ice. It seems every path from my door to the sidewalk is covered in ice. I can go right, and hope not to slip on the very smooth ice, go left and try to avoid the ice on the driveway, and the bottom of the steps and on the top of the steps on the other side (that's only if I want to pick up my mail, which is on the porch). Most of the time, I choose to walk through the snow to avoid slipping on ice, but there's also ice on the public sidewalks. We keep getting snow, sun on those days, so the snow melts off the roof and then flows out the downspout and on to the sidewalks or driveway, and since the ground is frozen, it can't go anywhere. I can't even do anything about the ice on the south steps, because the steps are wood, so I can't pick at it with the ice scraper, plus I can't throw ice melt on it.
But, hey, it's warming up soon, I will have two boxes of exciting swap stuff, and supper with friends at the end of the week. I'm looking forward to that.

1 comment:

Joyce said...

I love Texas Roadhouse! Good for you for embracing the day and celebrating with friends you love. Nothing wrong with buying our own chocolate. I'm married, but have been known to treat my own self to chocolate on occasion : ) Enjoy your day!