Monday, November 02, 2009

Fun computer issues

I must apologize for my lack of posts lately, as I said before I started a new job and I'm loving it. Last week, I turned off my computer Sat night and when I went to turn it on Sun morning, it wouldn't turn on, so I called Dell and we did some things. Finally they told me that they would send a tech guy out to replace some parts. Monday I got a recorded message following up on my call, saying the tech guy would get the part on Tues, call me on Wed to set up an appointment. Wed morning, the tech guy calls me and sets up an appt between 1 and 2 pm. Thurs he shows up at 2:05, which was annoying, granted I didn't have anything planned, but what if I did. He immediately takes out the power supply, puts a new one in and it works, I could have kissed him.
I found it kinda annoying how he couldn't fit his big hands into some of the spaces in the computer and I had to unplug and plug a couple things in. I also found it quite annoying when I told him the computer was only 3 months old and nothing should be wrong with it, that he replied that with computers you never really know. I'm pretty sure that's the line Dell told him to tell people. I have never had any other computer have troubles after 3 months. One of my laptops that was about a year old had to have a hard drive replaced.
After having this problem, I have decided to get an 8 or 16 GB jump drive to back up my computer. I didn't have anything backed up and thankfully everything's still here, because like I said, it's only 3 months old (that's what pissed me off the most), and I didn't think I needed to yet. I was very surprised to find a 16 GB jump drive is only about $40 on Amazon, while an external hard drive is much more expensive.

I had to hook up my old compaq which is pretty slow, plus I had reset it back to its original settings and had to do updates and a lot of stuff to get it back to the way I wanted it to be. I'm glad I kept it, and will plan to keep it as a back-up if anything happens to this one again. I was thinking if I couldn't survive 4 days without a computer, how was I going to survive 2 weeks when we're in HI, but then I decided that this time it wasn't voluntary. I always survive fine on vacation without a computer, and will probably be too busy to wory about computer stuff. I think it'll take me at least a week to get through everything I missed while I'll be gone, but I can handle it.

Beyond that, I haven't had any problems, just working.

No comments: