Sunday, May 06, 2007

I wish...

Last Thurs, I woke up, and real life slapped me in the face. And it sucks, so with that lingering in my mind, I watched Supernatural, and it got me thinking about things.

Last week (5/3), the guys (Dean and Sam) were hunting a Djinn (genie), and the Djinn attacks Dean and makes him think that the Djinn granted his wish that his mother wasn't killed in a fire when he was young. This fire got their dad hunting the supernatural stuff, which brought the boys into the hunt as they grew up. One hunt the dad went off and didn't talk to Dean in awhile, who then went to find Sam and they took up hunting.
Anyways, their life was so great (the father had died of a stroke, apparently they couldn't get him to come for the episode though), Sam was happily in law school and engaged to his girlfriend (who died in a similar fire to the one that killed their mother after Dean recruited him for a hunt), Dean had a girlfriend and was apparently happy. Only he found out that all the people he, Sam, and the father saved, didn't actually get saved in this other life, so he went to find the jen and see what it did. Apparently it made his conscious think the wish was granted while it slowly drained his life away without him knowing it. In the end (after Sam brings him back), Dean's debating if it was actually worth it.
Sam: I'm glad you dug yourself out, Dean. Most people wouldn't of had the strength, would've just stayed.
Dean: You should have seen it, Sammy. You had Jess. Mom was gonna have grandkids.
Sam: Dean, it wasn't real.
Dean: I know. But I wanted to stay. I wanted to stay so bad....Ever since dad, all I can think about is how much this job's cost us. We've lost so much. We've sacrificed so much.
Sam: But people are alive because of you. It's worth it Dean. It is. It's not fair and it hurts like hell, but it's worth it.

It just got me thinking, that what if genies existed and they could grant wishes, or make you think they did. If they actually did this, and I had it happen to me, knowing what was happening with my body, would I leave? If I could have that one wish, would I give up this life for another?

No comments: